One of my friends is a Dr Who fan. When we were away on holiday in April he wore the BBC Official version of the Tom Baker knitted scarf. 

We discussed how it didn't look much like the actual Tom Baker scarf as it was machine knitted in stocking stitch whereas the original was handknitted in garter stitch.

As I'm a hand knitter I decided to make my own interpretation of the original scarf for my friend as a birthday present.

The first thing I needed to do was some research on the actual scarf. This proved very easy thanks to a website called www.drwhoscarf.com

They had researched heavily into this scarf, how it was knitted, what type of colours and the pattern for each series it was worn in.

I decided to knit the shorter length version from Season 14 as I knew it would stretch overtime and would end up even longer!

The next thing I needed to decide was which yarn to use. I had already decided that I would knit the scarf in a DK weight yarn as I felt 4 ply would be too fine and aran would be too heavy to wear.

I also knew that I ideally wanted to knit the scarf in a wool yarn to match the original.

The next challenge was to find a yarn brand that matched the shades as closely as possible to the original scarf. I really didn't want to use different yarn brands as I felt that this may effect the overall look of the scarf that I wanted to achieve.

After hours of trawling through pages on the internet I finally settled on a brand called Wollywasch 100% Virgin wool which I sourced from Loveknitting.com:

Here is the shade and quantities of yarn I used for each colour:

Red = Leuchtend Rot (073) x 2 50g balls

Purple = Burgundersamt (199) x 1 50g ball

Grey = Grau (210) x 2 50g balls

Gold = Sonne (081) x 1 50g ball

Brown = Zintzwckr (200) x 1 50g ball

Tan = Sand (156) x 2 50g balls

Green = Oliv (173) x 2 50g balls

You'll see that there are 7 shades required in total for the scarf.

I initially made a tension swatch and decided that the scarf I was making for the yarn I was using would only require 60 stitches on 4mm needles rather than 66 stitches as recommended in the Dr Who scarf pattern from the website mentioned earlier. I also decided to slip the end stitch of each row as recommended on their website to stay as true as possible to the original scarf.

I was unable to find many pictures of the tassled part of the scarf, but again, thanks to the Dr Who website I used, they confirmed that the scarf consisted of 12 tassles on each end and each tassle was made up of each colour of yarn. The tassles of my finished scarf weren't quite the same as the original in the cut and finish but I really liked the crazy uneven lengths of them and felt that fitted in very well with the Dr Who character that was played by Tom Baker.

Thankfully my friend was really happy with his birthday present and said he'll definitely be wearing it this winter. Here is a picture I managed to take of him in it: